Tuesday, April 28, 2009

drive way bed, cantaloupe, blackberry cutting

I created a new bed in the front yard (beside my driveway) this past weekend. I figured that seeing the driveway garden everyday when I come home will keep me energized about getting into the backyard where the "real" work is. I planted 3 tomatoes and 3 pepper in that bed. Surprisingly, that spot gets plenty of sun. There use to be a huge hickory tree in this area that dropped hickory nuts on our cars and driveway. It fell last year during a bad wind storm. The soil seems very good. I guess 50 years of decomposing nuts helps and what hasn't decomposed keeps the soil airy.

Today, I planted some cantaloupe on the mound of dirt that I created from the sod removal of the new garden beds. I also thought I'd add some basil seeds to each end of the tomato bed. I read that basil is a great companion plant to tomatoes. I planted some rosemary in the bean bed; once again, companions. Finally, I planted some chives in the corner of the 8x8 bed. Hopefully something will come up.

I have been experimenting with blackberry cuttings. I did not have good luck with the rose cuttings, but maybe blackberries will do better.

I noticed the first flower on my cucumber today, yippie! I don't know why i'm so happy, i hate cucumber.



No comments:

Post a Comment